Training and courses
“Training is fundamental in preparing for the unexpected”
Healthcare in remote locations is usually delivered by Designated First Aiders (DFA) and a Remote Healthcare Practitioner (RHCP) assisted by our Telemedical Support Team (Topside). The unique competence of each individual and their ability to function together dynamically is crucial to the site’s health delivery. Furthermore we believe that a basic understanding of first aid is beneficial for everybody regardless of where you are.
We offer courses and training for all positions in the remote healthcare chain with emphasis on training that is specifically aimed towards:
- The General Public and Workers
- Designated First Aiders
- Remote Healthcare Practitioners
- Members of the Telemedical Support Team.
All of our courses form an integrated part of our RE-MED Healthcare system™. A successful training ensures that everybody involved in the remote healthcare chain possess the needed competence to handle any given medical scenario.
Training of Designated First Aiders
The Designated First Aiders (DFA) are usually the first members of the Medical Emergency Response (MER) team providing support at a scene of an incident. Their competence is thus crucial in ensuring a fast and effective initial medical emergency response. We make sure that all DFA’s involved have exactly the needed competence for their specific remote operation through our customized training programs. Regular training and forming an integrated part of a continuously evolving remote healthcare community is fundamental in further developing and maintaining the DFA’s skills.
Our DFA training courses consist of a theoretical part, a practical part and an exit assessment. A part of the course and training is customized to fit the requirements of the remote work and location. Our DFA courses form an integrated part of our complete RE-MED Healthcare System™. Contact us for specific details.
DFA Skills Maintenance
Skills are maintained through:
- Regular training. These are mostly practical sessions at the workplace, facilitated by the senior first aider or the remote healthcare practitioner. Skills covered during these sessions are alarm-symptoms recognition and basic emergency medicine, basic life support and ABC(DE), wound and fracture care, immobilization, patient transfer and communication.
- Forming an active and integrated part of our continuously evolving remote healthcare community. This ensures that knowledge is updated and consistent with recent guidelines as well as offering the possibility of shared knowledge and experience between remote healthcare workers at all levels.
Training of Remote Healthcare practitioners
The remote healthcare practitioners (RHCP) are responsible for providing assessment and stabilisation of people who are ill or injured at the remote location. In addition, they provide primary healthcare and preventive care at the site. In some settings, the remote healthcare practitioners may also be responsible for non-medical tasks (e.g. as the radio operator, or helicopter landing officer). Needless to say, the competence, capability and capacity of the RHCP is vital in protecting the health of those working and living in remote locations.
The role of the RHCP requires sound competencies within a wide range of specialties including emergency/critical care medicine, primary care and preventive medicine, public health, occupational health, dentistry, diving medicine, aviation medicine, health management as well as good leadership and interpersonal skills. Our RHCP courses form an integrated part of our complete RE-MED Healthcare System™.
We ensure optimal remote healthcare delivery through our:
- Basic RHCP training courses
- Intermediate RHCP training courses
- Advanced RHCP training courses
Our courses are divided into a theoretical part, a practical part (including scenario training) and final examination.
RHCP competency maintenance and development
We maintain and improve the competence of the RHCP’s through:
- Regular training and courses to ensure continuous professional development.
- Workplace activities and practical training at the site.
- Including the RHCP’s as an active and integrated part of our continuously evolving remote healthcare community.
Training of Topside Professionals (Telemedical center)
Everybody working within the remote healthcare chain needs both education and training to function optimally in their position and together with the rest of the team. Apart from the obvious medical challenges, working as a topside professional requires a profound understanding of the whole remote operation and the environment which we are operating within.
We offer Topside courses and training to all technical personnel, nurses, physicians and specialist directly involved in our 24/7 on call Telemedical support teams.
Our Topside courses form an integrated part of our complete RE-MED Healthcare System™.
First Aid Courses
Both our Public and Workers First Aid Courses consist of a theoretical part, a practical part (Including senario training) and final examination. No previous healthcare experience is needed to participate.
We offer Basic and Advanced first aid courses fitted to the needs of your remote operation.
All our First Aid courses are approved by RE-MED Healthcare System™ standards.
Practical skills courses
At Remote Health International, Practical Skills Courses form an integrated part of both the primary education and the continuous training of Remote Healthcare Practitioners and Topside Professionals. In addition, they serve to secure that the competence and skills of our co-workers always are up to date and in accordance with resent medical and technical advances.
We arrange courses in:
- Pharmacology and medication
- Minor surgery and hemorrhage control
- Advanced remote surgery and specialized surgical interventions.
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Respiratory diseases
- Gastroenterological diseases
- Urogenital and gynecological diseases
- ENT and ophthalmological diseases
- Neurological diseases
- Dermatology and wound care
- Traumatology and musculoskeletal disorders
- Orthopedic immobilization – Casts, splints, supports and functional bandaging.
- Infectious diseases and hematological disorders.
- Tropical diseases
- Psychiatric disorders and crisis handling.
- Preventive medicine
- Occupational medicine
- ECG and Spirometry
- Laboratory medicine and POCT
- Radiology (X-ray and ultrasound)
Our practical skills courses form an integrated part of our complete RE-MED Healthcare System™.
First Aid Courses
Our basic first aid course do not require any previous knowledge.
- 18+ years
- Although not being a requirement for the course, the DFA need to possess the mental and physical capability to deliver a rapid and efficient first aid response at the site. Individual fitness for DFA work will be thoroughly evaluated before employment and mobilization.
- Previous first aid experience is preferable, but not mandatory.
Most RHCP’s are already certified nurses, paramedics, healthcare workers or physicians prior to their training in remote health. The RHCP must:
- Be 18+ years
- Hold a current professional registration with a relevant national regulatory body (e.g. medical council, nursing council, healthcare professional council, etc.), in order to indicate the RHCP’s baseline competency and good standing.
- Have at least 3 years of clinical working experience in an emergency medicine setting.
- Work experience in primary care is desirable.
- The RHCP needs to possess the mental and physical capability to deliver advanced and efficient remote healthcare services. Individual fitness for RHCP work is always evaluated before employment and mobilization.
Contact us for more detailed requirements for the individual courses.
Practical Skills courses
Practical skills courses form an integrated part of both the primary education and the continuous training of Remote Healthcare Practitioners and Topside Professionals. Some of the practical skills courses are however open to Designated First Aiders. Contact us for more detailed requirements for the individual courses.